The past few weeks of school, my class has been working together with the international photojournalism class to produce something called soundslides. They take the pictures, and we do an interview and produce the audio to accompany the pictures. The purpose of the last exercise we did was to push yourself outside your comfort level and pick a person or a subject that is uncomfortable to cover for whatever reason. Some of the things the other groups did were interview the head of the Nazi party in Denmark, go up in a plane with a sky-diver, spend time with an alcoholic, visit a sex-shop. Here's what I did:
http://www.djh.dk/foto/slides/ton_nic
It was really challenging and uncomfortable for me to force myself to ask questions like, "do you think about dying?" We spent almost 2 whole days with Karin and it was only at the end of the second day that I felt comfortable enough to ask the really difficult questions for me. But then I realized that it was mostly just my hang-ups because she was very open to talking about anything that I asked her. It was also a good learning experience for knowing when to give the person a break and to step away for a few hours.
I'm happy with how it turned out.
Tuesday, April 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment