Saturday, February 10, 2007

Back from Copenhagen, hungover

Today was by far the worst hangover I've had so far in Denmark. Most of the schools in Aarhus have something called a Friday Bar. It's a bar run by volunteer students and opens at 3pm, when classes are done on Fridays, and goes til about midnight or so, or as I've been told, until people decide to leave. The beer is really cheap, it's about $3.25 for a pint. Which is ridiculously inexpensive for this city. The Friday Bar at my school is apparently quite popular and well known for being good times. But it's hard to start drinking so early and not be hungover the next day. Next week I will try something called "pacing yourself."
I spent three days in Copenhagen this week. It's a great city although I didn't have much time at all to explore it because the days were filled with chasing stories, doing interviews and filming. Copenhagen is a lot bigger than Aarhus, there's about 1.8 million people living there as opposed to the 300, 000 that live in Aarhus. But it still feels pretty small. They have the longest pedestrian only street in Europe. I don't know why Canada has barely any pedestrian only areas, it really changes the feel of a city, in a good way.
I got to go to this area right in the middle of Copenhagen called Christiania where in the 70s a bunch of hippies and artists took over former military barracks and established their own community there. There's about 700 people living there right now but it is in danger of becoming integrated into the rest of the city. That was what I chose to write one of my articles on. It's pretty fascinating that a place like that exists, where people were allowed to just come and build their own houses on this land. The main street in Christiania is called Pusher Street and up until recently you could buy hash and other soft drugs from little vending booths set up along that street. But the police have been cracking down a lot on that recently which have pushed the drug-dealing further underground. The people living there are also very weary of media and cameras. If you try to take pictures, especially on pusher street, you better run. I wanted to do a video for class about Christiania but don't think it will turn out so well because I was hardly able to shoot anything.
I've been up for four hours now, I think it's time to go back to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've seen a documentary on that community- very cool. It's like a mini socialist society where everyone pitches in and stuff. Is that an ok description? They have their own school and market...