Monday, February 12, 2007

Russian Dancing

The first week of school all the international kids were thrown a party at the school. We had to get together with our respective countrymen and come up with some sort of cultural presentation for everyone else.
There is a Russian girl in one of the other classes that when it came her turn to go up, she said, "Instead of doing this I am going to teach the girls dance lessons every week and we will perform for everyone at the end of the semester." We figured out pretty quickly she didn't mean any sort of traditional Russian dancing, she meant some sort of sexy club dancing. I signed up for it thinking it would be fun. Last Monday was the first time and let me tell you, this woman is worse than a Bikram's Yoga teacher. She makes you," push and push and push." I didn't do much last week, I drank two pints of beer instead and re-enacted the final scene in Dirty Dancing. I was Jennifer Grey.
But this week was hard, and I did most of it. Except for when it gets too sexy, I don't really know how to move my pelvis. I think it must be the gay in me.
We did so many stretches. This is what felt like Bikram's the most. Today was funny because we do it at this place called Student House where there's a bar on one side and a huge room beside it, where we do the dancing. Today in the bar there was a hardcore death metal show going on. And there was a bunch of guys, I think from one of the bands, watching us shaking our pelvises everywhere. And when we had to go to the bathroom or to get water, the normal door we go through was closed so we had to walk through their VIP room.
When we left, from the time it took to walk from the VIP room, through the bar and out the door, I got a headache from the random microphone screaming and felt like I smoked a whole cigarette.
I can't wait to go out and bust out this whole, sexy, choreographed dance routine.

No comments: