Today we went on a class field trip to Aarhus city hall. It was built in the mid 30's. And designed by Arne Jacobsen and Erik Møller. Everything from lamps to the key holes in doors was designed by architects.
I guess they were heavily influenced by the Bauhaus school of design (thanks for the art school teachings Mark.)
Apparently Jacobsen modeled his famous egg chairs on these ashtrays he designed for the city hall.
And he didn't want to build the bell tower but the city insisted on it. I think that's why it's a bitch to climb. His revenge. But beautiful when you get up there. Here's Aarhus from above.
It kinda reminds me of those miniature porcelain towns that people collect. With Christmas scenes.
The bells play some Danish song a few times a day.
This is the marriage room. The gays can get married here! This is where I am going to marry my Danish bride and live happily ever after.
No comments:
Post a Comment